 |
| One of my good friends Maraika and I at Historic Kirtland |
Recently in my D&C class we went over D&C 135, which is a section that's very near and dear to my hear. This section talks about the martyrdom of Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith in Carthage, Illinois. This happened June 27, 1844 and the words are written by Elder John Taylor. I don't know why I feel like I have a closer connection to this story than others because I know that other people have visited the church historical sites, just like I have, but I just love them so much. I always loved going to them and visiting Palmyra and Carthage, Kirtland and all of the historical sites out in the east and midwest. I love in vs. 4 the famous quote of Joseph Smith " I am going like a lamb to the slaughter; but i am calm as a summer's morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men. I shall die innocent, and it shall yet be said of me-he was murdered in cold blood." I wish I could have the clear conscience like Joseph had and I would love to be able to say this about myself before I died. I also believe it rings true in vs 6 when John Taylor says " the Book of Mormon, and this book of Doctrine and Covenants of the church, cost the best blood of the nineteenth century to bring them forth for the salvation of a ruined world; and that if the fire can scathe a green tree for the glory of God, how easy it will burn up the dry trees to purify the vineyard of corruption. They lived for glory; they died for glory; and glory is their eternal reward. From age to age shall their names go down to posterity as gems for the sanctified."
I love the Prophet Joseph Smith and I know that without him we wouldn't have the Book of Mormon, we wouldn't have this wonderful and true religion that we have today. I love it with all my heart.
 |
| My home town relief society went to visit Kirtland. This is outside the temple |
 |
| We helped preserve the Kirtland Temple! |
No comments:
Post a Comment