Monday, March 21, 2011

And Nothing Shall Offend Them

For class we read an article by David A Bednar titled And Nothing Shall Offend Them and we were asked to write a little bit about it, and now I will kind of tell you more of my thoughts on it.

I really like this article. I have struggled a lot this semester with this subject, being offended. Not only because students at this school are tactless and really don't know how to interact with each other, but because teachers here are very interesting. Mainly my Doctrine and Covenants teacher, yes I have had problems with a religion teacher and yes he knows that we have differing views. Not only has he questioned my integrity but also he has questioned just me in general saying how horrible of a person I am for "lying" to him. He asked me a lot of questions about things that were none of his business and yes I did get offended, but I also remembered this article. How President Bednar clearly stated that being offended is a choice. That you can CHOOSE to not be offended. This is an extremely hard concept for me in this situation because this teacher just makes me exceedingly angry. I sometimes can't even stand the sight of him and I have missed a lot of classes because he did offend me deeply. Then I started likening it unto the church and what if someone did that to me in church? Would I just stop coming? Would I give up my blessings of partaking of the sacrament and of remembering those sacred covenants that I have made with my Heavenly Father all because someone offended me?? I think not! I know that I wouldn't give up my blessings just because someone offended me, and I won't give up learning because this moronic teacher offended me. I refuse.....

No comments:

Post a Comment